I had the absolute pleasure of spending a day with Suely, the owner/founder of PodoSafe. PodoSafe is a callus solution product used in the Pedicure room for safe reduction of stubborn calluses. It is safe for anyone with immune compromised health issues. In fact, it is safe for "everyone".
PodoSafe is a result of attempting to solve a problem she had recognized in Brazil, her home Country. It's a result of working long hours and constantly trying formula after formula until she found the exact combination she was looking for. I literally get goosebumps thinking of the moment that happened. I can't even imagine how rewarding.
What I learned from my visit with Suely, besides all the Technical tips I want to share...reflects back to my article of last week.
Our Beauty Business needs to be about connections and supporting our own.
Podosafe is different from many callus softening products because it can be used as a stand alone service. In fact, that is my personal recommendation.
Because of its unique application technique, it distinguishes itself as a solution service, not necessarily a pedicure service. A solution service which, many of my Salons are charging as much as $125.00 for a 30 minute service....no less then $50.00.
The technique is fairly simple.
- We apply a cotton square saturated with Podosafe, to the callused areas on the foot
- Wrap with plastic wrap
- File away the melted damaged skin and viola......the results speak for themselves.
The difference in offering a "callus solution" service and a "pedicure" is time. And, time is money.
Our pedicures typically run 50 minutes to 1.5 hrs. We use 5-7 products if we do our standard soak, exfoliate, callus work, mask, massage.
Our PodoSafe callus solution product, along with our podosafe cuticle cream and your favorite exfoliating scrub or massage cream (3 items) is all you need. And, the time for this service is reduced by 30-45 minutes.
We charge the same or more, and spend less time. We work smarter.......not harder.
I'm excited now to share some of the specifics with PodoSafe. It's always the little tidbits which make that light bulb go off and/or makes our job easier.
And......just because I'm hoping to drive this point home. These are tidbits or helpful resources you won't find from Amazon or Ebay. Our Beauty Industry needs to be about connections and supporting our own.
Okay....I'll stop. For now 🙂
Let's talk first about some "did you knows"?
- PodoSafe reacts with oils and becomes stronger or more effective. Therefore, if you have a client with really really thick, cracked skin on the heels, applying a "natural" oil will help PodoSafe work even better. Do not use this technique on everyone. It should be customized for the truly intense callused client.
- PodoSafe works under warm conditions. Hence, why we wrap the foot with plastic wrap. Did you know a heating pad placed on the floor to rest the feet is an effective warming process? You can also wrap the foot with a heated towel. Be sure to do your complete consultation first to make sure using heat will be safe for your client.
- Regardless of what foot file you use, always file in one direction only, "down". Continue this form of filing until you have no more skin coming off. This is a great way to make sure you aren't filing off more than you should.
Tips & Tricks;
- Saturate a stack of your cotton wipes in a bowl with PodoSafe solution. It's easier than spraying one square at a time and you can plan for your entire day. Make sure it's a covered bowl so the solution doesn't evaporate.
- PodoSafe must be sprayed close to the surface. Once you apply the saturated cotton square to the affected area, spray PodoSafe now directly onto the square keeping the nozzle up and snug to the foot. This helps eliminate any excess spraying.
- PodoSafe cuticle cream can be applied directly under the nail as well as on the cuticle. By doing this, you soften the nail which makes for much easier and safer cutting. When you do work on the toenails, take care of the cuticles first. This gives the toenails time to soften which is hugely important when dealing with thick, hard nails.
- PodoSafe callus solution AND cuticle cream must be used wet. Once it is dried out, it loses it's affect. Therefore, when working on the toenails/cuticles you may have to re-apply.
- Be sure to use your file until you see no more skin coming off. If you leave the skin on the feet which has been softened by the PodoSafe callus solution, it will get hard again and your client may not be too happy.
- Use a bowl with a plastic bag under your clients feet. By doing this you can drop everything into the bowl such as your used cotton squares, wet towels, toe clippings, tools etc. When done, you can remove the bowl for fast, efficient clean up.
- Be sure to use exfoliating products or massage creams as your final step to "deactivate" the solution. It's important to use products with safe ingredients and ingredients which will process into the layers of the epidermis so your client isn't walking out of your Salon with slippery feet.
- Can I use PodoSafe in my regular pedicure service?
- Sure, if you want to. However, #1...Podosafe should be done prior to the soak. Therefore, you would just alter your pedicure procedure to include callus and cuticle/nail work prior to the soak. #2...Why? The intent of PodoSafe, in my opinion is to add a service we can't offer with any other product. We can offer a PodoSafe service to a client who isn't really fond of pedicures. We can offer a PodoSafe service as an on the road service. We can offer PodoSafe to callused skin which, need more than what we can presently give them. We can add a PodoSafe service for more $$$ in less time.
- Is PodoSafe available in larger sizes?
- Presently PodoSafe is only available in our 12 oz spray bottle However, there are plans down the road for larger sizes. PodoSafe has only been available for 2 years. It takes time to grow the Business and realize what the demand is. I can assure you, once it becomes available....you will hear it from me.
Centre For Beauty is always looking for ways to help our Salons become more proficient, save $$$ and provide quality products. We know we can help with all 3 in all the brands we carry.