Here we are again, the last quarter of the year. Wow! Can someone please tell me, where the time goes?
As I finish up my year long season of Trade shows which, thanks to many of you were a great success, I think about the many conversations I had with those who visited our booths and other Mfg’s who presented.
Yes, many of our attendees are there to learn new things and try new products. However, I do have many conversations regarding the follow though with retail.
What better time of year to learn new tricks to treat your clients with the knowledge of how to better care for their feet and share with them some products you may not necessarily sell throughout the entire year. Products which make great stocking stuffers, products they can travel with and BONUS….products which actually work.
First of all, let’s get one thing straight. Retail in our Beauty world is much more than going to a Department store and buying a new set of bath towels. Think about this. When buying bath towels, we generally know what we are looking for and why.
We want 2 large bath towels, matching hand towels and matching wash cloths. Which, have to match our decor.
In our Salons, our clients don’t even know they are looking for a product they really need. It is our job to educate them, it is our job to recommend to them what would be best to care for the skin on their feet, their cuticles etc. etc.
2nd, Don’t you think there is a reason why ALL stores carry creams and lotions and oils and potions?
It’s a HUGE industry!
You can find foot care and nail care products in any store ranging from Nordstroms to the Dollar Store. JC Penney, Macy’s, Walgreens, CVS….just to name a few.
In fact, the Esthetician I go to monthly, works part time at Walgreens. She shares with me the $$$$ and the volume of products for foot and nail care which goes out the door daily. It’s truly mind boggling.
In our Spas/Salons, we have a captive audience. Our clients are already with us. We hold their hands, massage their feet……and now we send them out the door to purchase products “wherever”?
I do understand the trepidation of presenting products to your clients. I’ve been there! We need to circle back to the why. Why are we shy to promote our brands? Why do we feel like we are “pushing” products on our clients? Why, why, why?
Education – Confidence
It’s really simple. You don’t have to be in sales. You only have to believe that what you are recommending to your client is a necessity not a luxury.
You don’t have to be in sales. However, you do need to know what you are recommending. Knowing the product, what are the ingredients, why does it work…..knowledge!
Let me share some tips on promoting retail. Enough retail for you to pay your rent.
- Use it – very difficult to have belief in a product which you’ve never tried.
- Talk about it – although there are some very good and creative display set-ups, they don’t just sell by sitting on the shelf.
- Display it – let the display work for you. Don’t just set the products on the shelf with a name tag. Pictures….pictures…..pictures.
- Change – change your displays monthly. Set up for each Holiday. Mix it up.
- Samples – do your Mfg’s offer samples for your brands? It doesn’t have to be a sample of everything you use, however clients love samples and it’s a good way to get a taste of the products prior to making a purchase. Centre For Beauty has small sample sizes for purchase on each of our brands.
What about diversity? Many of you are in a suite or a room by yourselves. Maybe you don’t have a whole lot of room for retail. Maybe you have been doing the same clients for many years and, you don’t even take on new clients anymore.
This is not a dead end.
- Reach out to your fellow Beauty world Technicians. You will be amazed at how many make specialty products. Last week on our journey back home from the Premiere Birmingham show, we stopped in a small town in the Northern west corner of Florida. Port St. Joe. I knew I had a client there which I’ve never met. I stopped in to say hello and her small, cozy room was filled with creative items. Items of which she made personally. I bought the cutest hand sized towels with different sayings and decorations.
The Holiday season is the absolute best time to make your $$$$ in retail. You hear it all over the news how retail is up x% in the 4th quarter. Amazon, Department stores etc.
How can you reap the benefits of this increase in percentage?
- Be creative with your offers
- Stocking stuffers
- Travel size
Those 3 is all you need! Here are some examples;
- Be creative with your offers:
- Are you wanting your clients to get on a maintenance routine? Share the importance of a good skin care routine for the skin on their feet (or hands). Promote a FREE travel size product with the purchase of a full size.
- Offer a small discount……however……don’t just set it on your shelves. Wrap the item in a decorative bag and let them choose (without knowing what’s inside).
Make sure you do the math before you just willy dilly discount. Take advantage of your Vendor discounts on items which you can save money and not lose on the selling end.
- Stocking stuffers;
- Travel size options
- Cuticle care pens, rollers and more
- Nail oils
- 8 oz nail polish
- Pedi Sox
Centre For Beauty has so many options of great stocking stuffer items. Looking for something not so “nail/feet” specific? Life of Riley Salon Supply has many many close out items which would fit perfectly into your Holiday Season sales.
- Travel size
- There is nothing like travel size items for stocking stuffers. They can be many of the items listed above or hand and feet creams which are under 3 oz.
- Look for items that will be usable.
- Look for items which might spark interest for future sales.
Also, label your items with your Business name and contact number. You can print right from your own computer. Clear labels work best. If a client of yours is giving something from you as a gift, you want to make sure they contact you if they like it…..NOT Amazon.
This time of year can be so stressful. I would just like to add…..keep it simple and enjoy.
My journey with introducing Oncology care to our Technicians this year has taught me over and over again, the importance of enjoying life. The importance of not sweating the small stuff and the importance of being the best we can be….to everyone.
I wish you all a season of profits and a season of Love and Laughter.