- Some are diluted, some are not
- Some require 10 minute contact time, some do not
- Some need to be replaced daily, some do not
- Some are high level grade of Disinfection, some are not
- Some can cause damage to vinyl & ceramic, some do not
- Some need to be disposed of carefully due to OSHA regulations, some do not
- Some are carcinogenic, some are not
- The list can go on and on
- Have your Disinfection MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheets) easily accessible
- Have a manual listing the dangers which can be present in our Salon environments
- Have a list of steps which need to be followed with each service
- How to properly clean your work station
- How to properly clean your implements
- How to properly clean your pedicure bowls
- How to properly clean your surrounding areas
- Check your State guidelines (this should actually be first)
- Know the grade level of your Disinfection product (Low -medium – high)
- Know what types of bacteria and fungi your Disinfection will kill
- Know your contact times
- Know how to care for someone if swallowed or made contact with skin or eyes
- Display “how” you disinfect in your Salons
I also believe with any new hires, Disinfection should be a crucial part of their training. I also believe monthly meetings should be held to do a double check that everyone in your Salon is following the same procedures.
If you are independent within a Salon, don’t be angry that you “appear” to be the only person following proper protocol. Offer a suggestion to the owner as to how he/she can get her team on board to be the “best they can be” regarding disinfection.
Gather pertinent information for the brand you are using. Reach out to your supplier for marketing materials and specifics which give you more knowledge of the brand you are using.
Be proud of what you do and share it daily. Let your clients know by displaying signage in your salon and let them see the steps you take before and after (and sometimes during) their service.
Proper disinfection is no joke. It only takes one(1) time for something to go wrong. I know for myself, when I learned first hand about proper disinfection, I knelt by my bed and prayed that night thanking the Lord that there were no injuries or infections caused by the “lack” of disinfection I had been doing in my Salon for 18 years. I learned a valuable lesson and changed the way I did things not just in my Business, but in my home as well.
The time is now…..learn all you can…..do all you can…..and do it right!
It’s your Kinder – Greener – Safer product for proper Disinfection.
Contact time is less than 60 seconds!
For more information…click here!