"Is your staff following proper disinfection protocol" was the #1 concern we received from our survey regarding Disinfection. As it should be.
We so often find in many Salons where one or maybe two people are on the same page in knowing the proper Disinfection procedures, but the rest of the staff either doesn't care or just doesn't know.
It is important to know exactly what the Manufacturer's protocol is with the product you are using. Don't assume they are all the same....they aren't.
- Some are diluted, some are not
- Some require 10 minute contact time, some do not
- Some need to be replaced daily, some do not
- Some are high level grade of Disinfection, some are not
- Some can cause damage to vinyl & ceramic, some do not
- Some need to be disposed of carefully due to OSHA regulations, some do not
- Some are carcinogenic, some are not
- The list can go on and on
If you don't know how your Disinfection products work
How can your team?
I think it's important for us all to realize that proper protocol for Disinfection procedures within your Salon should be your #1 priority. It doesn't matter whether you use Bleach, Barbicide, Caviside, Micrylium or any other brands. What does matter is you know what the specific directions are in order to use it properly.
What also matters is that everyone on your team is educated on all the specifics when it comes to Disinfection. In fact, I have a few suggestions on what I feel should be mandatory in every Salon facility.
- Have your Disinfection MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheets) easily accessible
- Have a manual listing the dangers which can be present in our Salon environments
- Have a list of steps which need to be followed with each service
- How to properly clean your work station
- How to properly clean your implements
- How to properly clean your pedicure bowls
- How to properly clean your surrounding areas
- Check your State guidelines (this should actually be first)
- Know the grade level of your Disinfection product (Low -medium - high)
- Know what types of bacteria and fungi your Disinfection will kill
- Know your contact times
- Know how to care for someone if swallowed or made contact with skin or eyes
- Display "how" you disinfect in your Salons
The time is now.....learn all you can.....do all you can.....and do it right!Centre for Beauty proudly recommends Micrylium for your disinfection needs. It's your Kinder - Greener - Safer product for proper Disinfection. Contact time is less than 60 seconds! For more information...click here!
Centre for Beauty, President