I have to be honest with you. Since Covid, we have struggled to get attendees to our hands on classes.
I get it. The convenience we realized in 2020 when we could sit around in our PJ’s and attend a virtual class, is not to be underestimated. I also understand, this new generation is all about the internet. Virtual learning, social media, texting, DM’ing etc.
Does that make it right? Does that mean it has to be the new status quo?
I too, as a Distributor jumped on the bandwagon of offering virtual classes. They worked. To a degree.
I always kinda felt like I wasn’t giving all I could give to our attendees. Something was missing.
Most people found them beneficial. Some needed that “hands on” training. However, what I have witnessed since then tells me…there is NO replacement for hands on training.
There is no replacement for the relationships we build with our piers in a hands on class. There is no replacement for “feedback in the moment”. There is no replacement for touching, feeling, visually seeing up close and personal what can be done with a product.
Here is the cold, hard truth;
Prior to Covid when we did hands on “live” classes, our retention rate of attendees still using or even practicing the service was pretty near 100%.
Our virtual classes, not so much. The retention rate for those who took our virtual classes who are still using or practicing what they learned is less than 50%.
Sure, you could blame it on the presentation. You could blame it on the outline of the course. You could blame it on “me” the educator.
I have a different opinion!
In our virtual classes, our technicians have constant interruptions. The husband walks in, the dog needs to go outside, the phone rings, they go to the bathroom, they are answering text messages or taking phone calls….I could go on and on. In short, the dedication is NOT there.
In addition, rules of the game aren’t followed. Practice time isn’t dedicated, rushing to get the test done, squeezing in when they can…..it’s just excuse after excuse.
How do we change that?
In 2020 classes also were mostly virtual. In 2021 most of our classes were cancelled to do lack of attendance. I was literally pulling my hair out in frustration because I just could not figure out how to fill my classes.
In 2022 it was much of the same. I had the request, but when it came time to sign up it wasn’t the right date, the location didn’t work. Excuse after excuse after excuse.
Funny thing about it, it was never the cost.
My mission for 2023 is to “educate” the benefits of live, hands on classes. I refuse to give up. Why? Because I KNOW the benefits first hand. I KNOW the difference it makes. I KNOW hands on classes, without a doubt are the best!
I also know, we have to continue to pursue those who are willing and determined to invest their time and their money to not only benefit themselves….benefit our Industry!
What are the Benefits?
- Students Retain More. Hands-on learning better engages both the left and right sides of the brain. …
- Improved Attention. …
- Encourages Teamwork and Critical Thinking. …
- Real Results. …in the moment feedback
- Makes Learning more fun.
Hands-on instruction uses kinesthetic and tactile methods, where touch, feel, smell, taste and hearing can enhance the learning experience of the attendee
This type of multi-sensory learning enriches the mind and helps you retain what you learn for much longer than virtual learning and even reading.
Going back to retention rates. Research has shown;
Students who went through active learning saw much higher test scores and improvement rates. Another study found that students who didn’t engage in hands-on learning were 1.5 times more likely to fail.
This is why many of those who attended our virtual classes, have not pursued with what they learned and therefore are not seeing their return on their investment.
So, the question I keep asking myself is “how do I change the way our Technicians are thinking”? “How do I encourage our Technicians to take the time and invest in their future”?
The answer; I will continue to educate on the benefits of in-house, hands on classes and hang onto my hope for a brighter, better future for our Industry.
I will continue to maintain optimism teaching our Technicians to look at the BIG picture and understand the rewards are far more than the expense.
I will continue to fight for our Industry in an effort to help Technicians be the best they can be for their clients.
Have you planned your education for 2023? Check out our website for the great, amazing classes Centre for Beauty will be offering in 2023.
- 3 modalities of Foot Care. Yes, we provide and teach with the brands we represent LCN, Footlogix, sa’SHá. However, this class is more about education and less about products. What you learn will be beneficial with any brand.
- EFiling with Emily. Emily Marasco of EliteFeet386 has risen in popularity over the past couple of years due to her persistence in learning and perfecting. Her method of teaching is lighthearted and fun yet extremely beneficial. The basics of bits, the proper use of efiles, maintaining your efile and efiling with safety are alll subjects of this class.
- Pedicuring with confidence. This class is being presented at the Gatlinburg event of the Smokies. Our #1 gathering of Nail Technicians in the Country. You are 1/2 way there by buying your ticket to the show. Take the next step in gaining or keeping your confidence in all ways pedicuring.
- Oncology Care in the pedicure room. After going virtual since Covid, we are hosting our 1st 3-day OSS class at Centre for Beauty. The value of being with piers during this learning journey cannot be over stated. You will be shocked, humiliated, alarmed, joyful, emotional and so much more after just day 1. If you think you’ve learned all you can in Pedicures….take this class. You will soon find out how wrong you are.
Just when you think you know it all……another piece of education could change the trajectory of how you pedicure forever!