As October approaches and we begin all the preparations for our 4th quarter, it’s time to talk a bit about how we are “unknowingly” causing damage to our clients feet.
Let’s review a few educational tips.
- Our feet carry us around for a lifetime. Equivalent to 4X us walking the circumference of the Earth.
- Portal of entry (on any part of our body) is an open door for bacteria to enter into our blood stream
- Researchers have found 421,000 units of bacteria on the outside of the shoe.
- Bacteria multiplies every 20 minutes.
Why am I sharing these specific facts with you?
Because if there is THAT much bacteria on the outside of our shoes and we then walk into the house with them on……do you think bacteria is transferring to the ground? THEN…add in the fact that most people walk barefoot in their own homes….YIKES!
Now, couple THAT with the enormous amount of clients who have damaged skin on their feet AND the clients we are causing damage to without even realizing it.
- The skin serves as a barrier to infection. However, any break in the skin invites the entrance of pathogens.
- Infectious agents get into the body through various portals of entry, including non-intact skin.
- The skin is one of the major portals of entry on our bodies.
- Microorganisms capable of causing disease—or pathogens—can enter our bodies through wounds or bites that breach the skin barrier.
Sandpaper – paper with sand or another abrasive stuck to it, used for smoothing or polishing woodwork or other hard surfaces.
Satan’s grater –a device having a surface covered with holes edged by slightly raised cutting edges, used for grating cheese and other foods.
Pumice stone – a very light and porous volcanic rock formed when a gas-rich froth of glassy lava solidifies rapidly.
There are many other files which are also damaging. Read below for what you DON’T want in your foot file.
Foot files we use in our Foot Care room is a serious subject.
Products are subjective. We know the same product may work differently on different people. We know people choose product brands based on name recognition. We know people choose product brands based on scent or no scent. I’ve seen first hand how Salons do NOT choose products based on effectiveness.
I have great respect for many Educators and Technicians in our Industry. However, I shake my head at those same Educators/Technicians who share their knowledge of Foot Care yet, use tools which knowingly….yes….knowingly cause damage to the clients feet.
So let’s do a quick review!
Sandpaper – Sand or other “adhesive” used for smoothing or polishing woodwork or other “hard surfaces”
It is truly appalling to me how anyone can think this is okay to use on a clients feet. – let me explain
The sand or adhesive is “sprayed” onto a huge flat sheet of paper then cut into “foot file” shape
Adhesive is glue….it dissolves in water
As filing is done on the clients skin, the tiny micro pieces of sand or whatever can easily fall off. Where do these tiny micro pieces go? Well, we can’t see them, as they are so tiny. Therefore, we don’t know if they are hitting the ground or getting embedded into our clients skin which, could easily cause an infection.
In addition, the back and forth motion of the filing is not giving this “soft surface” a smooth finish. As the skin naturally sheds and attempts to repair itself, these fine micro-lesions caused by the sandpaper, is causing the skin to grow “uneven”. This unevenness is known to us as “dry skin”.
What you think is just dry skin after your clients 4-week Pedicure service, can be actual micro-lesions, NOT visible to the naked eye….causing portal of entry for bacteria to enter.
Satan’s grater – A device having a surface covered with holed edged slightly raised cutting edges. Used for grating cheese and other foods.
NOT USED FOR GRATING SKIN
I still can not wrap my brain around why anyone is still using this tool in the Foot Care room. I’m sorry, it is my opinion you are lazy!
Yes – it will most certainly remove those thick hard calluses.
Yes – it will certainly give your client the visual that you are removing their calluses.
YES – IT WILL CAUSE HARM TO YOUR CLIENT.
Pumice stone – A very light & porous volcanic rock formed when a gas-rich froth of glassy lava solidifies rapidly.
Much like sandpaper, these “glassy lava” not only can break off and embed into the clients skin….IT IS NOT ABLE TO BE SANITIZED PROPERLY.
This topic is very passionate to me because if know the science behind how these tools work….and, how they don’t.
I know the damage being caused on our clients skin because I learned from first hand experience from my own Salon experiences.
I know how many Technicians look for the easy way out in lieu of doing what is truly best for our client.
What is your excuse?
Let’s now talk about why I chose this topic today.
At Centre For Beauty, we study the products we bring into our Distribution. We study them to make sure they are affective, priced right, easily available and we always make sure we are Educated on whatever we bring in, so we can educate you.
In 2008 I was introduced to what was known then and known now….the BEST file in the world. AngelFeet
I was introduced to this file by Footlogix, as they at that time, were the mass Distributor for the brand. They taught me well.
- 100% Medical grade stainless steel
- Made in the USA
- Able to be sterilized to the highest degree (autoclave)
- 1000-1500 pedicures with one file
What I have learned since is all of the above is 100% accurate. I also learned;
- AF has a patented technology in the design of the file, designed NOT to shred the clients skin
- The grit is made with the file…it is NOT sprayed on
- The patented technology is such, the grit is a diamond shape, with a flat top. CALIBRATED on a machine.
- This means that from start to finish, the grit does not change.
- This means there are no undulations in the grit (hills or valleys) which could cause shredding
- This means nasty’s can’t hide, making the file very easy to clean.
The biggest challenge Centre For Beauty and AngelFeet is faced with, is the pricing. However, if you do the math…yes, it may sound expensive on the on-set, but the years of not having to purchase bulk files, makes the AF file extremely cost effective.
The safety of the file itself should be the reason to purchase…not price!
A couple of years back when I really began dwelling into the safety of this file, I presented the Mfg. with a program exclusive too Centre For Beauty only.
We typically offer this program 1-2X per year and we are able to do this because the Mfg. offers a credit for each Salon/Technicians participation.
Here is how the program works
- Program start date October 1st, 2021
- Program end date October 31st, 2021 (no files are accepted after this date)
- Send your crappy files to the graveyard (any file, any style, any make) to the following address;
- Centre For Beauty
- 12955 Starkey Road #3000
- Largo, Fl 33773
- Include your name, contact phone #, address & email address
- By doing this, you have the opportunity to purchase all sizes of our AngelFeet files at a very highly reduced price. Better pricing than ever promoted at a trade show.
- Upon receipt of your crappy files, CJ will personally call you to verify how many AF files and what size(s) you want.
- Our warehouse will ship accordingly.
As discussed in a prior blog, I know “Expenses are Expensive”
However, the expense of the file is far less the expense of damaging your clients skin and suffering the repercussions (an unintended consequence occurring some time after an event or action, especially an unwelcome one.)